The original recipe can be found here .I just did some minor tweaking to make it less heavy.
Apparently these sandwiches are really popular in Chicago. Before I found the recipe I had never heard of them. The best way I can think of to describe them is they are like a sloppy joe but instead of the red sauce it has a cheese sauce.
What you need:
- 1 lb hamburger (I tried elk burger and that was good too)
- 2 t Montreal steak or Famous Daves Steak Seasoning
- 1 t worchestershire sauce
- 3 T butter
- 2 T flour
- 1/2 yellow onion
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Brown meat in skillet. Season with steak seasoning and worchestershire sauce.
- Drain off fat and set meat aside.
- Melt butter in pan.
- Add in diced onion.
- Cook until it begins to soften.
- Mix in flour.
- Cook 3-4 minutes longer.
- Whisk in milk and bring to a boil.
- Mix until it smooths out.
- Once it begins to thicken remove from heat and stir in cheese and meat.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in hoagies with lettuce.
Make sure you use sharp cheddar cheese it makes a ton of difference!